IDENTITIES OF THE NORTHERN FRONTIER




 ' Time is a gift not an entitlement and no matter how hard you try you cannot control it.The only thing you can do is create and cherish memories worthwhile reminscing.Indulge-Relate-Feel it-Live it-Bunduzman.' Vulnerability is part and parcel of the package of a social -cultural dynamism as flexibilty is a glass of water for me. I lose my self for myself to find. 

Never had i been so much euphoric on quite  a long while, my post to the stereotyped myriad of Flora and fauna was a quest to fathomable quench as an intrepid explorer.

After a get-together with my sisters and my cherished ones , bidding goodbye was inevitable.One on quest of the south , as i explored the north of Kenya -quite enigmatic to my expectations. Nostalgic i reminisced old memories down to Mt.Kenya ecosystem but never has the scenery made me so moonstruck after the junction to world's famous Olpejeta conservancy.

My curiosity was like that of little boy gazing in a stary night.From the noir therapeutic flowing streams and rivers to the beautiful countryside of Nanyuki.I must say Laikipia won my heart.Transversing beautiful roadside of farms,LEWA DOWNS from Olpejeta wildlife conservancy home of the last two northern white rhino Fatma and Najin am connected to the land from a conservationist agita. EXTINCTION IS REAL. White rhino not being white in colour but from Zulu and afrikaneer diction of `wide'  perhaps the only other sanctuary of the white rhinos of the south. I must say my stars aligned when i set off for the north.

Tucked in the clouds was Mt kenya as my new acquinted guide gave me insights on major landmarks crowned by beauty and photograhic memories.Meru was always on the bucket list but the north was calling.


Cultural indulgence crowned it all as i could not help fight my curiosity and euphoria.My arrival to the bustling town of isolo lifted my moods.A sample of the sumptuous cushitic cuisine was my ideal introduction to the northern lifestyle as the culture of the locals replenished my expeditious soul.We travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us.my mind all curious the nothern frontier being on my bucket list. From cultural quest of nomadic and cushitic cultures all the diversity awakened my holism.The nomadic lifestyle was not a new thing as my ancestry was of the nomads of the south but a burning desire to indulge, relate , feel and live in the landscape of SAMBURU was worth it.Buffalo springs to Kalama conservancy to the dusty roads to Sarova Shaba as rich cultural sighting of brave   women , children in regalia and warriors of the north.

samburu

 

Archer`s post to mind boggling scenic wonders of kopjes from wamba makes me justwanna explore more. A stop at the security check crowns it as a get a candid and upclose feel of Mt.Ololokwe and Mathew`s range as locals call it  odonyo Lekinyoi .Talk of locals i was convinced of secrets and treasures as the men and women in beautiful crafted beads and regalia decorated the asal terrain.I ought to grasp every bit of them in admiration from seredip, Laisamis , Merille, Log logo.

bunduzman.castro
Mt.Ololokwe ,Gateway to the North-Bunduzman.Castro on safari

Am now enjoying cushitic  renditions beaming from radio as the ambient sundowner moment is crowning the landscape.By dawn am at Marsabit town and to my shock the stereotypic imaginationof the impression of the town is rather proved wrong.


 Born out of volcanic waste surrounded by a burning desert, Marsabit national park and the environs is a mountainous forest swathed in mist and a pleothera of flora and fauna. Am learning local names of major attractions like the sokorte diko known as the elephant pool at marsabit lodge which is disfunctional but strategically located.
Of worth noting and commemoration is that am at the home of the legendary tusker Ahmed whose tusk could touch the ground of world record and the only elephant with a presidential decree to guard him 24hrs round the clock


.Am here for my conservation efforts and also master the ecosystem. The hospitality i get is heart felt as am now a guide at the newly opened `MARSABIT CULTURAL MUSEUM' and the park guide meeting amazing colleagues from the k.w.s rangers and the local scouts.

 


 Of worth noting is the accomodation inside the park with two public campsites ,one at park headquarters at Abdul gate and the other at Ahmed gate ,Ahmed campsite and a wilderness campsite at Lake paradise as am stocked hosting great teams like BUNDUZROVERS CLUB on an expedition from chalbi to Ngurnit and the northern circuit. I really appreciate conservation here  and the personnel and stakeholders and as my time elapsed i extend to host my friend Saitoti a.k.a MC Gats enroute to chalbi with a fleet of landcruisers. i happen to host them at `THE OLD CAMP' a serene bungalow that is in the park if you are willing to spend the night in a  bnb type of seeting sorrounded by all manner of wildlife but ranger are available for security.

If willing to spend the night contact Ahmed gate offices from KWS website for reservation. Hereby is impression of the `OLD CAMP BUNGALOWS'







 















BY SAITABAU CASTRO.

The writer is a Tourism and wildlife manager, conservationist, bird watcher and professional tour guide. email- dialnpick@gmail.com or call +254707678809 for travel related assistance

 

TO BE CONTINUED



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts