NOT ALL THAT WANDER ARE LOST.


     Well i will quote a great author in a column featured in Nomad magazine, Bobby Pall's write about Borana tribe on a project in Meru.' They were dancing the ostrich courtship dance, and i think the dance was meant to buy my heart. Trust me, they did! So i went  back again on this project only to realize `who is really talking about where we came from? Because if these  this walls could speak they would tell us and the skies have no recollection'- Someone got to write and someone got to document- Bobby Paal in his new book, VANISHING SONGS.
     Not all that wander are lost! Read that again. The dry savannah winter is here and am just crossing fingers the weather brightens up a bit the next day.Honestly after trotting from the sandy beaches on North coast to the wilderness of Taita hills i transverse via Kwa Kivoi(voi town) to savannah grassland and baobab towering landscapes of noir filled obsidians of "shetani lava" ( swahili for devil's lava.)
      Honestly this time round i wanted a different  perspective, my plan was to do taveta route and experience the magic of Lake Chala and Lake Jipe. I was also in a quest to sample the wataveta lingo a new intermarriage of taita and pares from Tanzania. Life is what happens when you make other plans! My plan was to escape the whole winter in the tropical sandy beaches  till it was Bunduztime or errands in the capital.
     Everytime i see the ancient people am so grateful.They hold a special place in my heart. Despite the time nor the hurdles nor the season.I just find richness in people.One of them to mention is like my mum's godmother, Gogo Anab alias Ayieyo.One of the oldest in the town since early days of interacting with the maasais to see dreams of a border town come true.She has seen it all ,being a brainiac in her old age dare not try play games or you will get a "banter! Banter! "Reply. Too experience to be taken for a ride.
      Long story short am euphoric cracking good news to my ayieyo that i will be attending a traditional ceremony Dear and special she guides me as she  cut the so called tartan. Tartan simply describes  a pattern of crisscross design of fabric and maas have since time in memorial which resembles the Scotland traditional highland dress like patterned regalia   .In respect of the dress code am rocking my regalia. Never have i been this euphoric ,thanks to my ayieyo.
      I woke the next day to ambient golden rays trying to sneak in my tie and die hippie like curtain .As soon as i drew the curtains sun rays were flooding my room quite an optimistic start but in a tick of time it was all misty and spine chilling cold. Nevertheless this was not going to nug me as my ancestors had surpass it and now my generation was flying back to attest their roots in a feast of a kind that brought so many people together round the globe.
     I longed for the day  i would dawn the streets in my maa regalia ; my shuka ( maasai patterned fabric) , my engalem(sword), my rungu( the club) and my ushanga and just the whole moran experience . Well today was it ! Quickly i freshened up and next i was rocking my regalia  putting one thing and another together and bam! My mum was elated as she was my mirror  how i put it together. Culture is the antidote of propaganda ( i needed no google nor you tube - gems you don`t find online)


    My arrival to the bride`s home , a childhood dear one was stoking i must admit. Surrounded by beautifully traditionally dressed  maa women decorated by their shangas (beadwork) singing singolios ( traditional maa songs) made me feel like an oltau , a last king of a kind but lest shall i not bask on someone`s glory.
   A couple of freeze frame moments for the gram( my gen. though!) as the standing ovation moment was finally here. The bride Sheena and her fiancé Chibueze were here with the bridesmaid and the groomsman entourage being my main IAN KURAO rocking the same regalia like i did! Already i knew this was vibes for days! A couple of wise words and blessings from a maasai elder man and off the entourage leaves for the main event. Every time Sheena comes to mind i think of the old adventure filled 1984 flick and growing up together i can attest an adventurous soul with little sister Valerie Seenoi.

 A drive through the rock and log built  grandiose entrance as the old bungalows sat strong as  some emanated smoke from steam burners. To rob my attention was the scarlet red filled parking lot as maasai warriors  were humming heart throbbing renditions  as this evoked a moran  belonging exclusive moment.
   Rhythmically and in synchrony marching with their sword and clubs up high not forgetting the sounds of the adorable  beadwork as the red ochre crowned their scarlet red dreadlocks as we marched in the groom. Am totally euphoric as Chibueze indulges in the renditions behold of his masterpiece crafted leather maasai shield . In a while  the vibes are contagious as the whole congregation has eloped to a traditional space and time rhythmically as beadworks on women necks are balancing to a one of a kind synchronicity as the  perky morans jewelry and clubs brighten up the moment.


 Chivalry is not dead on this southern most part of Kenya and north of the  tanzanian border , we acknowledge ladies first but it`s men before today as the magical moment is here when Sheena arrives in her maa regalia and entourage of gleeful maa women celebrating her.
  Enkaputi ! ( a traditional maasai wedding). Earlier i had mentioned is as a feast of a kind in so many days and here`s to why, i joined  my other morans  to an experience not in books but for your eyes only and a legendary one. The aroma of freshly roasted goat and beef engulfs the surrounding as meat sits round bonfires as my  uncle welcomes me with a juicy chunk. Am honored to dine with this great men some who i have seen and have raised me since a young one like of Mr. Shokut and others.
  This is a lifetime experience for every moran out there as per maa culture . We call this Or`puul ( a situation where warriors leave their homes and do deep in the bush to slaughter , eat meat and bond as some cleansing happens and no women are allowed). Ever since, it`s always a circle  and one grabs a sword as he cuts meat and passes it round the circle to the next person  until everyone has a chunk then server eats and again till a bull or goat is done. Perhaps a selfless virtue to pick of the southern hospitality. Am joined by the visual content team covering the event , Wesley and Kenneth Guchu and certain they have exclusive  stories to tell by their lenses.
    Diversity matters , it is buffet time and everyone indulges in a plate of the favorite sumptuous .My or`puul experience is enough to get me going despite the Kilimanjaro's  winter spell. Little did i know we are just getting started ! Appetites well taken care of, am told of a second wedding regalia wedding Nigerian style.1400hrs and second grand entrance of both bride  and groom as the groom family expounds how they do it in their culture as am mind blown by the fusion of maa and Nigerian culture together in a day.


   It`s a jamboree of singing and exchange of gifts , souvenir type you only get from a special craft making aunty and good vibes fill up the place. Why does every good moment has to end so quickly? I feel i  never get enough of good times and i get crazy nostalgia. Dusk is here and everyone is up and down commuting to their respective sleeping arrangements. Ever been to a two days nuptial ceremony ? Then welcome to the southern hospitality and we know how to have a goodtime. 











 
             DAY 2 WEDDING ........
TO BE CONTINUED..........

Comments

Popular Posts